Saturday, October 29, 2022

Simple Hand and Wrist Warmers

I started a new job recently and my hands kept getting cold in the office.  I thought, "I can do something about that!"  I didn't want anything that required knitting fingers or thumbs, so this pattern only includes a thumb hole.  After knitting the first one with ribbing at each end and stockinette for the rest, I decided I wanted the second one to be a bit more snug.  So the second one is entirely ribbing.  It's your choice as to whether you want stockinette or ribbing - or you could do one of each, too!



I used Malabrigo Finito (120 Lotus colorway) and 3.5mm dpns.  One skein of Finito is 185m and I didn't quite use the full skein.  Obviously, the amount of yarn needed will be affected by how big around and how long you choose to make the warmers.


c/o 64 sts. (20 sts, 24 sts, 20 sts across 3 dpns)

Knit 1 foundation row (you could go straight to the ribbing, but I always prefer a foundation row)

R 1 - 10: K2, P2

R 11 - 55: K in the round (if you choose to make the warmers entirely in ribbing, then the ribbing will continue in this section)

R 56 - 65: Knit (or rib) flat on dpns to create the thumb hole

Rejoin in the round

R 66 - 67: Knit (or rib) in the round

R 68 - 69: I chose to decrease a few stitches, which is optional.  For the knit only warmer, I K2tog at the beginning and end of the 2nd dpn on round 68 and 69.  For the ribbed warmer, I K2, P2 for 24 stitches so that was into the 2nd dpn, then K2tog and P2tog, and continued in rib for the rest of round 68.  Round 69, I K2, P2 for 23 stitches, then P2tog and K2tog to incorporate the 2 decreased stitches from the previous round into the pattern.  Either way, you should have 60 total stitches after these two rounds.  You can also decrease a few more if you prefer.

R 70 - 72: Knit (or rib) in the round

R 73 - 78: K2, P2

Knit 1 ending foundation row

Bind off in your preferred method


No comments: